EA Vows To Be Better After Star Wars Battlefront 2 Controversy

EA’s new chief design officer has pledged to learn from the errors the company made with loot boxes in Star Wars Battlefront 2, and has assured gamers that they will do better in future games.

Patrick Söderlund, who was the head of worldwide studios at EA until an executive reshuffle this week, told The Verge that the controversy around the decision to include lootboxes in the game has had a direct impact on EA as a company and an effect on the management, and that it’s determined to prevent similar mistakes in upcoming open-world shooter Anthem along with the Battlefield series.

It’s clear to us that players see the company differently than we do. And in that situation, as a member of the executive team, as the guy who runs all of the studios, I have to take that seriously. And we have to continue to listen and understand what’s triggering that. We have to be very cautious of what we do.

EA removed premium currency out of Battlefront 2 before launch due to player anger over the progression system, which forced you to grind or pay additional for unlockable extras after you had already paid a hefty $60 for the base game.

We have to take action and show people that we’re serious about building the best possible products, that we’re serious about treating the players fair, and we’re here to make the best possible entertainment that we can, he says. And in the cases where we don’t get it right, we just have to listen and learn from it and be better.

He added that the purpose of loot boxes in Battlefront 2 was to have more people play for a long time after launch. And Like many other games available on the market, to be able to afford to do that when they had an idea of getting returns from that.

Battlefront 2 enabled the microtransactions back in a patch released and it is now limited to only cosmetic items, and DICE removed the randomised loot box elements, meaning you’ll only be paying for what you want.

Related posts

Using Slurs In Rainbow Six Siege Comes With Immediate Bans

Using Slurs In Rainbow Six Siege Comes With Immediate Bans


Using Slurs In Rainbow Six Siege Comes With Immediate Bans

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege has implemented their anti-toxicity system and recently, reports are coming in that players are getting banned for using slurs in the shooter's in-game chat. Last weekend, several Rainbow Six Siege players reported being banned because of using racial slurs...

Square Enix’s Games Lineup For SDCC Includes Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Square Enix's Games Lineup For SDCC Includes Shadow Of The Tomb Raider


Square Enix's Games Lineup For SDCC Includes Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Square Enix will be hosting gameplay demos, giveaways and other activities next week at San Diego Comic-Con 2018 from July 19 till July 22. For those planning to attend the event could try out games like Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Kingdom Hearts 3 and even Shadow of the...

CD Projekt Red Has Plans To Develop A New Witcher Game

CD Projekt Red Has Plans To Develop A New Witcher Game


CD Projekt Red Has Plans To Develop A New Witcher Game

Even though there will never be a Witcher 4, CD Projekt Red isn't yet done with the Witcher series. The company intends to make more games based on the same setting in the Witcher universe, but without Geralt of Rivia. Although CD Projekt Red did not provide a timeframe, the narrative of...

Leave a comment