Starcraft and its Brood War Expansion Is Free On PC and Mac
Blizzard’s cult classic StarCraft is back and the game is downloadable for free ahead of its remastered launch. Blizzard recently released a brand new 1.18 patch to make the game easier to run on modern PCs before announcing the great news that the original ‘Starcraft’ game and the ‘Brood War’ expansion are available to players free of charge.
StarCraft will get additional updates later this year, which includes 4K graphics and online features. You can start playing the game by getting the downloads here:
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
- Added UTF-8 support.
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
- Added options to display actions per minute.
- Added Observer mode.
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
- Added autosaving for replays.
- Added an option to display the game timer.
- Added UPnP support.
- Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
- Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
- Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
- Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Improved anticheat capabilities.
- Improved installation and patching performance.
- Mac Beta support now available for 10.11 and up.